On behalf of the State Extension Administration Office:
- Extension Faculty Member Promotion
- Parking Passes ARE Required this Summer in University Square Parking Lot
- Updates of County Personnel Information
- Smith-Lever Special Needs Competitive Grant RFA Available
- Program Leadership Team Meeting – Jan Carroll
- Photographs Needed – Joanne Littlefield
- Colorado Rockies Weather and Science Day – Joanne Littlefield
- Building County Websites on the New WordPress Platform – Ruth Willson
Joanne Littlefield earned her Ph.D. in Public Communication and Technology this May.
Jessica Fuentes was one of 8 recipients of the 2016 AP Star Award. The Administrative Professional Star award was created to express appreciation by recognizing the accomplishments of AP employees who demonstrate outstanding individual performance, make a difference and “shine” in the CSU community.
Because the Agricultural Experiment Station has a presence in 62 of Colorado’s 64 counties, Jessi’s responsibilities are incredibly wide reaching. Her extensive knowledge of university fiscal policy has further advanced relationships with Office of Sponsored Programs and Extension employees. When reviewing the organizational structure of Extension, Jessi recognized the need to better define the financial system and took steps necessary to move to a “department-based” structure. While this change took an abundance of her time and energy, it also resulted in more effective and efficient fiscal management.
Susan Baker, Extension Specialist in the Department of Food Science & Human Nutrition will be promoted to Professor this July.
Parking and Transportation Services will enforce regular parking hours this summer. Permits will be required in all lots from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, unless otherwise posted. Summer enforcement will be the same as it is during the academic year.
For more information, visit http://source.colostate.edu/parking-fully-enforced-this-summer/.
A reminder to county directors to please notify Judy Barth or Lori Bates when you have any changes in county personnel working in your Extension offices. Please email Judy or Lori the new county employees’ name, title, phone number and email. Also, don’t forget to let us know of resignation/retirement dates of county personnel.
The FY 2016 Smith-Lever Special Needs Competitive Grants Program Request for Applications (RFA) is now available. Please find links below to this funding opportunity. Here are some summary points:
- Explore possibilities with your PRU.
- Due June 13th.
- Only 1862 Land-grant Institutions can apply.
- 100% match is required.
- No indirect.
- “NIFA intends to fund Special Needs projects to implement applied scientific programs that serve public needs in preparation for, during and after local or regional emergency situations.”
- “To decrease the impact of disasters through cooperative extension programming. The appropriated amount available for NIFA to support these grants in FY 2016 are approximately $462,000.”
- Five key target areas: Education & Technical Assistance; Collaboration; Long Range Family, Farm Community & Regional Planning; Communication Delivery; and/or Dissemination of Credible, Science-based Information.
- $15,000 – $225,000 in FY2015; historically $30,000 – $120,000.
- Funding Opportunity Summary Page: https://nifa.usda.gov/funding-opportunity/smith-lever-special-needs-competitve-grants-program
- gov Page: http://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=283830. This page includes a synopsis of the funding opportunity, a link to the full announcement (RFA) and the application package.
- Any questions, please contact Beverly Samuel – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Leadership Team (PLT) meets Tuesday, May 31, 1 – 3 p.m. by Zoom. The draft agenda is posted online http://extension.colostate.edu/staff-resources/#progplan, along with notes from previous meetings http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/staffres/program/plt-160217-minutes.pdf.
In terms of programming, it’s not too soon to be thinking about updating/revising Plans of Work for calendar years 2017 and 2018. Keep your Planning & Reporting Unit (PRU) leaders informed as program demands are evolving locally.
We want your photos! You are where the action is, and when you have the chance (or have a volunteer who can do so), please take a few minutes to photo document the programs and activities that you put together.
We want to use them on our website (and Lou wants them for the Office of Engagement website), for print marketing, and publicity.
Your cell phone photos are fine, as long as you send them to me in the highest resolution. Be sure you have obtained photo releases. This can be done easily by including the release information as a check off when participants sign up or sign in.
Here are some tips from CSU photographer Bill Cotton: http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/comm/want-photos.pdf
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions.
7,600 Denver-area students learned up close about how weather and science make up our climate. Colorado 4-H STEM staff and volunteers joined the Colorado Rockies, 9News and Steve Spangler Science to showcase baseball science, weather and more. Read more: https://wp.me/p65FbT-9AQ
Darrin Goodman has been busy processing requests to build out the shells to the new county websites. There are currently 29 sites built and have been turned over to the corresponding county. If you would like to get in the queue to get the shell of the new website built for your county, fill out the form at: http://goo.gl/forms/8kJVBrZWlL. There are currently only four sites left in the current queue.
Thanks to the county sites that have launched their new websites and helped work out some of the bugs. They include:
- Jefferson County – http://jeffco.extension.colostate.edu/
- Tri-River Area 4-H – http://tra.extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/4-h/
- Technology Training – http://training.extension.colostate.edu/
Many other sites are in the process of updating content, but are not yet complete. If you would like help in the transition, please contact Jeff Wood at Jeffrey.email@example.com or 719-543-2262 and he can assist. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-491-6988 or Darrin Goodman at Darrin.email@example.com or 970-491-2734.