To assure that all of you are kept up to date on a regular basis, the three regional directors and the state Extension Administration Office provides bi-weekly Extension Updates. This forum is for all Extension announcements, so if you have something to distribute, please forward it to Lori Bates with FOR EXTENSION UPDATE noted.
January 8, 2015
On Behalf of the State Extension Administration Office Update
- CSU Hemp & Marijuana Research FAQs/Guidelines
- WEDA Awards of Excellence – Jan Carroll
- National Western Stock Show – Joanne Littlefield
- Program Planning & Reporting – the key to success is in your Plan to Invest – Jan Carroll
- Regional Director Webinars Schedule
Happy New Year!
CSU Hemp amp; Marijuana Research FAQs/Guidelines
A conference meeting on CSU Hemp and Marijuana Research Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) / Guidelines is scheduled for Thursday, January 15, from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Linda Schutjer, Mark Wdowik, Lou Swanson, and Judy Barth will host the meeting. This meeting will be recorded and posted on the website.
For the conference meeting, go to http://youtu.be/CtSzoLQ0UA4
WEDA Awards of Excellence – Jan Carroll
In 2014, Native Plant Masters won the WEDA Award of Excellence. It is time again to consider a program you are involved with, and proud of, and to take the time to draft a nomination. Attached is the submission information for the 2015 Western Extension Directors’ Award of Excellence. Applications may be submitted only by Lou; two entries may be submitted from Colorado. Multistate entries may be submitted by us, in addition to the two state entries. This award, which is presented through Western Extension Directors Association (WEDA) with the assistance of the Western Region Programs Leaders Committee (WRPLC), recognizes outstanding Extension programs in the Western region. Winners will be asked to present at the Joint Summer Meeting. The due date for all submissions is 5:00 p.m., Monday, March 9, 2015. Please let me know if you plan to submit, and be in touch with any questions.
National Western Stock Show – Joanne Littlefield
The National Western Stock Show runs January 10-25, at the NWSS complex in Denver.
Sunday, January 11, 2015, Extension will be hosting the CSU ‘day host’ booth. This year the university has expanded its presence to include a day host booth on the 2nd floor in the education building in addition to the presence on the 3rd floor. If you’d like to spend a couple of hours promoting Extension to the wide-ranging audiences who attend the NWSS, contact me. You’ll receive complimentary admission. The booth is to be staffed between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.; the hours between 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. are already spoken for!
Program Planning & Reporting – the key to success is in your Plan to Invest – Jan Carroll
As you know, our Colorado Planning & Reporting System (CPRS) closed at 10 p.m. on December 31st. No additional entries can be made for program outputs and outcomes for 2014.
The Plans of Work (POWs) for 2015-2016 for each Planning & Reporting Unit (PRU) are coming in, and Joy is loading them into the system. We will let you know as POWs become available; all will be entered and available no later than February 15th. Your personal Plan to Invest (PTI) must be entered into CPRS by March 1st. As soon as it is approved by your supervisor, you can begin to report. By April 10th, everyone should have their first quarter data reported. From then on, regular reporting is expected by the 10th of each month. I encourage you to put these dates in to your calendar.
Please note that any concerns you may have had in completing your 2014 reports may be ameliorated by a thoughtful Plan to Invest (PTI) for 2015-2016.
- First, think carefully about your work, and answer the question, “why am I the _______ agent in _________county/area?”
- Think about the time you have available (200 days = 1 FTE for planning and reporting), the expectations of your clientele, your skills and interests (inputs).
- What outcomes do you hope to achieve with and for your stakeholders and participants (outcomes)? What condition, behavior, and learning will be affected by your programming work?
- How will you measure your results?
- Then consider your audience, and the best way(s) to reach them (outputs) There are eight common outputs you can integrate into your PTI.
When you have clarity on these points (it’s the Logic Model. Use diagram, and plan from left to right), you can use Keys to Successful Plan Building to enter your PTI into CPRS.
Please be in touch with questions or just to talk through your planning process.
Regional Director Webinars Schedule
RD webinars for early 2015 are listed below. They are designed for County/Area Directors, and anyone is welcome to attend. All RD webinars begin at 1:30 pm and last one hour or less, and they are recorded and archived. Please add them to your calendar and attend if you are interested in the topics. http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/colodac + f2f in Room 4 University Square.
- January 22 – Resolving Internal/Office Conflicts
- February 26 – Fair Treatment
- March 26 – Expectations for Programming
- April 23 – Relationships and Legislative Engagement
- May 21 – Emerging Issues